Saturday 17 May 2014

Spring 2014

After the exciting, whirlwind trip to HK, life managed to settle down to a much more easy-going pace. Check it out.


I had heard about Takenoko from Deryck, and finally got an opportunity to play it myself. Interesting game where you strategize bamboo garden arrangement, growth and consumption by giant, cute panda. Would play again.

I'm not sure if I've yet mentioned how much I adore my local Costco. In addition to being recently renovated (including a Gas station), they've set up a regularly recurring Poke Bar. So ono!

I'd seen this bread pudding shop quite a few times while passing through Hayes Valley in SF, and finally had an opportunity to give it a try. I opted for a tasty apricot one that they served up like you might do a scoop of ice cream or frozen yogurt (even with topping options). Yummy, but I think it would've been so much better served warm.

Did my first night hike in the Bay Area up to Hill 88 in the Marin Headlands with Susanna, Jason and a few of his co-workers. Quite a bit of uphill action and kind of a bad idea (for the legs) after having done the CF Open 14.5 WOD earlier that day. With that said, we had a beautiful view at the top! Photo cred: Susanna.

Archie, Liz & I headed over to Santa Cruz to meet up with other Prometheus folks for a post-Santa Cruz Half Marathon brunch. Way to go Steph, Noelle, Mark and Brooks!

Another week and another Foodie Friday event. We had dinner at Gott's in PA (meh), but had some excellent ice cream at the Tin Pot Creamery afterwards. I'm a sucker for the Earl Grey stuff (pictured above).

Easter Sunday Hike in the Windy Hill Open Space Preserve (in Portola Valley) with Brent, Mary & Luke. As the picture shows, we saw a lot of beautiful California poppies.

After the hike, I began preparing my dish for the Easter Potluck at Troy & Lori's.

Salmon Poke of course. Being a big fan of salmon, I'm partial to this type of Poke. Onolicious.

Met up with Kevin for dinner in Mountain View to catch up and discuss his upcoming trip to Costa Rica with Phil. On my way to the restaurant, I caught a glimpse of this sweet Audi R8 with a silver fern decal. Gotta love seeing a fellow, proud Kiwi in the area!

You can find Pace Galleries in New York, London, HK, Beijing and Switzerland where they showcase some great contemporary art. Now, they've got a gallery in Menlo Park and I dropped in to check out the inaugural exhibition featuring some works by Alexander Calder. Thanks to Amy for coming along.

You may recognize Calder as the sculptor who originated mobiles like the one shown above. I'm quite fond of the mechanical nature of the work and how the pieces hang delicately from the wire and move about in response to air currents in the surrounding environment. I also appreciate that Calder studied engineering and creatively used that education for artistic pursuits.

The gallery also featured a few random works by other artists. Tim Hawkinson's Fu Dog caught my eye. Who knew eggshells and superglue could take such a fascinating form.

Next week, Pace Gallery Menlo Park will open up their next exhibition featuring works by Tara Donovan. They had a couple of her works in the space (not sure if they'll also be in the new exhibition or not) beside all the Calders. You probably can't tell from the image, but countless steel pins form the work, Drawing (Pins), above. So cool to contrast the view up close from the view from a bit farther back.

Untitled (Mylar) sat nearby. Unprompted, the security guard walked up and described this as a favorite of his due to the way it caught the lighting. He noted that it looked most fetching when daylight shone into the gallery and gave the work even more brilliance.

A peek into one of the gallery's storage closets revealed a few more things including these little Chuck Close ones (prints perhaps?).

The Inverness Post office. How quaint. We rode up to Inverness from Stinson Beach on a lovely Saturday. Pleasant temperature for a ride, though a bit windier than I might've liked.

50 odd miles later,after riding back to Stinson Beach, we (me, Brooks, Amy & Cortney...and a bit of my thumb) got a nice snack and hung out at the beach for a bit to let our legs rest.

Again, a lovely day to be outside.

Lastly, a shot of me at the gym (icing my knee no less). I think I need a haircut. Photo cred: Jonathan.

I can't quite believe we've made it to May. This year just continues to fly by so quickly! What will I get up to next?

No comments: