Wednesday 13 April 2011

SFO T2 Open House

Picking up where we left off last time, and continuing the travel theme a bit longer, I had an awesome opportunity to visit the recently remodeled Terminal 2 at SFO. I don't tend to fly American or Virgin America too much so I probably wouldn't otherwise get a chance to see T2 beyond security. Check out these pics to see what it looks like.

They have these swanky red chairs littered about near the boarding gates and they give you a cozy place to plant your travel weary posterior. I can't remember if Nick found them comfortable or not.

Pretty standard fare at the boarding gate counters, though you can see yet another example of an unorthodox chair on the left.

If you take a closer peek at the windows, you can see these dots which help to moderate the amount of light shining in. Kinda trippy, especially when you stand closer to the windows...

They had a interactive, mechanical butterfly thing which you could control using these rotary knobs. Kids loved it (and Mari enjoyed it too).

Nick, Me & Mari waiting for a flight that won't be coming.

American Airlines brought one of their vintage planes (DC3?) which they used in part of their official (private) ceremony a few days earlier.

Ah, SFO. One of my favourite airports indeed. I missed a beautiful shot of a wide body Boeing (767 or 777 I think) taking off and instead had to settle for this death trap Southwest 737.

Check out the large, open hallway that greets you after you pass through security while you walk towards the gate. The netting adds a nice touch of color and they droop down from sky lights. They did a great job of harnessing an immense amount of natural lighting, which helps to keep the energy usage of the new terminal down.

The new American Airlines check-in counters. Plenty of flat screens, self-check in computers and, in my opinion, really cool lighting fixtures.

Even the hallway joining T2 with Terminal 3 had a bit of character to it.

Amazing job with the remodel. The terminal looks amazing and I'm sure any passengers lucky enough to fly through will thoroughly enjoy it. I hope United takes some notes and spruces up their side of things sometime soon. Otherwise, I'll be spending as much of my waiting time as possible in the International terminal...

No comments: