Thursday 18 August 2011

Food and Visitors

Not a very imaginative title, I'll admit, but I don't have many pictures to share and I can't think of any other words to tie them all together. I apologize for not putting these up a bit sooner, but have a look.


So a few weekends ago, Kurt came out to the west coast for a visit en route to the south and we sought out some good eats. We ate at "Off the Grid", a food truck meet-up in San Francisco which went undocumented by my camera unfortunately. While delicious, the sheer number of folks (including ridiculous lines for the numerous trucks) ruined it just a little bit. Anyways, we went to the opposite end of the Bay Area a couple days after to check out the Gilroy Garlic Festival (my first time going in the four-ish years I've lived up here). We went early so that made the overall experience pretty enjoyable as that spared us some of the pain of long lines and extreme traffic.

The line for the free garlic ice cream stretched on for a while, but they operated with impressive efficiency and we didn't wait too long to get ours. More like a soft serve rather than the true ice cream I ate at the last garlic festival I attended (at Ward Warehouse in HI, circa 1999?). Pretty good. Tasted very much like vanilla with a strong garlic aftertaste.

So they had a tent with "Hawaiian" BBQ chicken kebabs and, being good local boys, we decided to check it out.

No self-respecting garlic festival would dare occur without a solid garlic fry offering, and Gilroy doesn't disappoint. Just look at how much garlic we collected off the top of the fries. No arguing that these fries packed legitimate potency.

And then last weekend, fellow USC/Hawaii friends, Claudia, Jeanine, Ryan and Kellie all came up for a visit and we spent a day up in San Francisco eating and enjoying the excellent weather. We started the day out at the ferry building for the weekly Farmers' Market (an event I also took Kurt to) and we slowly (MUNI had some problems so it literally took us a long time) made our way west to Golden Gate Park, where we took this picture in front of Stow Lake. The gang had an impressive showing from other friends who now live near the Bay Area and I met some other cool folks during our urban excursion.

Finally, I'll end with a pic of Monday night's dinner: French toast sandwiches. Mari has wanted to make this for a really long time so we finally got around to it. Sandwiched between the two slices of french toast, we put provolone cheese, spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes and turkey breakfast sausage patties. Finally, we drizzled pure maple syrups (yes, plural...we sampled two different kinds) over the top to impart just a touch of sweetness. Yum.

Alrighty, I don't have any other pics at the moment so you'll have to make do with those. I promise I'll get a little update on my new job next time around since I'm just about to wrap up week 3. Until next time.

No comments: