Monday 10 March 2014

Random December 2013

So let's continue on with 2013. That time between Thanksgiving and Christmas tends to just fly by so quickly. Between work and what not, this year played out similarly. Check out these random, few pictures from that period of time.


Seeing as I had gotten an annual membership for the Asian Art Museum in SF, I thought I'd put it to good use by visiting to see the latest exhibition and other new things. In December, their main exhibition centered around Korean art during the Joseon Dynasty (late 14th century - early 20th century). I really liked this Turtle shaped seal (aka "chop") used by the Prince. They cleverly designed the display with an angled mirror underneath so that you could see the reflection of the characters on the underside of the seal. Very cool.

Also on exhibition, Proximities Part II: "Knowing me, knowing you" presented the theme of relationships between generations through the eyes (and mediums) of modern artists.

As a part of Proximities, they had a piece by Charlene Tan which paid homage to Yayoi Kusama's "Love Forever". Emulating Kusama's original exhibition, Tan had a supply of "Love Forever" buttons that could be taken as souvenirs by visitors. I took just one button so instead of covering my eyes as Kusama and Tan did, I improvised.

It got bloody cold here in December...

Finally, inspired by Mum's annual gingerbread baking, I decided I'd give it a try for the first time in ages. The recipe came from my 1st grade teacher and has endured to this day. We start with the mixing bowl.

I really wanted to use Susanna's mustache cookie cutter, but since I didn't have enough time to grab it, I had to stop by Target to buy this generic cookie cutter set. Nothing really represented "holiday cheer" so I tried to choose the most broadly applicable shapes available to me.

The final product. The consistency depended so heavily on how long the cookies baked in the oven and the first tray came out a little more crunchy since I misjudged the appropriate baking time. They all tasted great and I'm glad I got to share a taste of my childhood with friends (Sunday dinner) and co-workers (Monday potluck).

Alright, I'm almost to the end of 2013. Keep an eye out for the exciting conclusion of another year! Adieu for now!

No comments: