Saturday 7 May 2005

A Horse of the Golden Variety

It really wasn't enough to have just one NZ music experience in LA this semester. Tonight, I had the fortune of catching Goldenhorse play live at the Mint to bring the tally up to TWO in the past 3 months (which virtually doubles the number of NZ acts I've ever seen before 2005). To be honest, as much as I love Brooke and her performance in LA (trust me, I LOVED that show), I liked the Mint as a venue a lot more than I liked the Hotel Cafe (roomier w/o compromising intimacy or character) and I felt the show was a little more upbeat (as much a result of Kirsten's animated performance as the livelier style of music). Here are a couple pics from the show for yawl to check out.
goldenhorse1
Goldenhorse (L->R: Geoff, Kirsten, Ben C, Vince [who is between the Bens] & Ben K) played a great, highly energetic set that the audience responded well to. It was awesome to finally hear them play live well over 2 years since I first heard them on a CD player driving through the streets of Auckland (thanks Lianne).
goldenhorse2
Don't adjust your eyes, the photo is blurry (I blame the photo taker's inability to prefocus the camera). But, yeah, I was lucky enough to also get to spend some time chatting with a few of the band members (L->R: Ben C, Ben K, Kirsten, Me & Vince...Geoff was putting equipment away I think). Kirsten, Ben (King - guy with the hat) and Vince were particularly friendly. Too bad about the picture but the experience was worthwhile enough.

Not too much more can be said about the past couple nights. I've had an unbelievable time and life's just been great (exams aside). Home soon, other home not too long after. This looks like an exciting year...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you made it!!!! :-D :-D :-D

looks like an awesome time. :-)