Monday 19 December 2005

Winter/Summer Break

G'day folks! I'm here in the midst of my break between semesters and, unlike my usual breaks, it's been pretty busy. As I mentioned in the previous post, I've been splitting time working at the University of Auckland's Bioengineering Institute and my Aunty's company called "Brewcraft" (specializing in selling home brew alcohol kits...brew your own beer & spirits sort of thing). Unsurprisingly, work has taken up a lot of my time recently. It has been really fun though, particularly working at UofA and getting to see how BME works here in NZ. It's also been fascinating getting involved in a research project and seeing how that side of things work because I'm probably gonna end up doing some graduate studies. Anyways, here are a few pictures to sort of outline what I've been up to...

B,T,J,C
My family went to the New Zealand Guangzhou (Canton) Chinese Association Picnic out in Western Springs (near the Auckland Zoo). Events that took place at the picnic included: Chinese Santa gift giving, tug of war (my team won once and my Gung gung's team won everytime), mini-cricket session, looking at the elephants through the fence and a few other things as well. In the pic above are my cousins Brittany, Taran, Josh and Caitlin. They just got some popsicles and were in the process of enjoying them when I snapped this pic. It was a hot & humid day so the ice blocks were a welcome treat!
dolce vita
I got to catch up with my good friend Lianne last week which was great since we're both ridiculously busy nowadays and rarely get to meet up. She took me out to dinner at Dolce Vita, an Italian restaurant in town where we enjoyed the above meal. She got the salmon fettucine with a creamy mushroom & spinach sauce. I opted for the steak with a potato croquette and spinach risotto. Both were delicious (yes, I did get a taste of the pasta). Gotta love Italian food! Lianne, you're the best!
Uniexp
Here's the project I've been working on at the University of Auckland. For those of you who are curious as to what we did, we loaded a pelvis and measured the strain at specific points on the pelvis. The goal is to use the experimental data collected and compare the results to those from a computer model created by the PhD student I was assisting. The experimental data will be used to assess the validity of the model. Just being involved was a great experience and I am grateful to the faculty & students over at the Bioengineering Institute for letting me take part. Who knows, after graduation, I may find myself back in Auckland working on a project of my own!
car audio
And finally, in preparation for the sale of my car, I took out the Pioneer speakers from my Skyline and put them into my Aunty's car (which had crappy stock speakers). This was quite an experience as well since I was learning as I went. Sorry for the crappy cameraphone pic. This isn't a particularly groundbreaking or anything but I took a pic so I thought I'd show you guys.

Well, I hope you enjoyed all that. It's nearing Xmas and I have yet to do my shopping so this will be an interesting week. I'm really looking forward to going up to Omaha Beach with the family and having some fun in the sun. Billiards, cricket and biking will probably be in the mix as well. As always, BBQ's are a staple of the NZ Summer experience. Look out for pics from that! Afterwards, I'll most likely be headed home to Hawaii in time for New Year's (I hope). On that note, Happy Holidays everyone and take care!!!
*edit*
DSC00256
I saw these shoes at the sports store today. That just about sums things up nicely!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi loser face! love the new pictures!

Anonymous said...

stop napping