Tuesday 15 May 2007

Another Graduation

So, I celebrate the 100th entry on this blog with a post about my graduation from graduate school. It's odd because it doesn't quite feel as big of a deal as it was last year, however, it was quite a lot of fun and will be remembered for the camaraderie exhibited by all of us fellow BME graduate students. As usual, let me get right into the photoblogging:

DSC04181.JPG
On wednesday, Travis & I took another trip back to Stoney Point for some more rock climbing. Climbing on natural rock definitely beats climbing indoors. The photo above is of Travis in an "egyptian-like" pose on Turlock/Boulder 2 while the photo below is of me on the top of the very same boulder.
DSC04183.JPG

n3400985_34129853_2504
Thursday marked a trip to Santa Monica to check out the Pier with Travis and Meera. Above, you can see us on the pier in front of the carnival rides. It was cloudy, windy & cold when we first got there. It did clear up as you can see us below on Santa Monica beach enjoying the sun & playground equipment.
DSC04191.JPG

DSC04193.JPG
Then, we walked around 3rd Street Promenade for a bit before enjoying some cupcakes. Here we have Meera's Red Velvet on the left and my Strawberry on the right. Travis' Coconut is not pictured.

Finally, we've arrived at Friday. The morning ceremony featured a great speech by former ABC News anchor Ted Koppel and an appearance by Clint Eastwood. Both were awarded honorary degrees by the school and were distinguished guests. Following the main ceremony, which was markedly better than last year's, I headed over to the Rossier School of Education ceremony to support a fellow, local brother: Ryan. He had the honor of delivering one of the speeches and I had to be there to witness it. Much respect for using a quote I greatly admire from Gandhi.
DSC04194.JPG
After that ceremony ran a little longer than I expected, I bolted over to the BME reception to meet up with my fellow graduates & classmates for a few pics and a bite to eat.

DSC04196.JPG
Nick, Claudia, Puja, Leah & I.

DSC01782.JPG
Me & Dad.

DSC01789.JPG
Claudia & I.

DSC01794.JPG
Claudia, Nick, Travis, Myself & Meera with the BME sign. Funny story: Nick & I ripped off the tape holding the sign to the easel and were preparing to take the sign to the ceremony before BME staff members came to ask us what we were doing and had us return the sign. We were so close...

n3400985_34129879_8098
Instead, we did nab this sign which was used to organize the graduates by departments. All the BME grad students signed it and now we have a neat piece of memorabilia from the ceremony. That sign will be worth a pretty penny in a few years, just you all wait and see...

Meera's sister Tasha was kind enough to run to the store to buy us a bottle of Champagne for us. We were gonna sneak it into the ceremony but they took so long to get everyone seated that we couldn't wait and preceeded to celebrate before the ceremony began.

n3400985_34129870_5538
Nick opening the bottle.

n3400985_34129871_5851
Meera boozing.

n3400985_34129874_6620
Claudia guzzling.

n3400985_34129876_7155
Travis chugging.

DSC04198.JPG
Leah drinking.

DSC04199.JPG
I couldn't help but partake in a bit of the bubbly myself.

n3400985_34130224_9021
The whole lot of us after finishing the bottle.

n3400985_34129880_8351
Meera, Nick, Travis, Me & Brandon after having received our diplomas. We're all smiling because we didn't yet know there were gonna be many more names and another couple hours of the ceremony left...

DSC04200.JPG
I'm glad I was able to sneak out for just a bit to congratulate Erin at her commissioning ceremony. The Air Force's newest 2nd Lieutenant was a fellow Paris buddy of mine from the Engineering summer program.

grad55
Ryan & Darren (and also Claudia's friend) were on hand to see Claudia and I get our degrees. Thanks for the support!

DSC04201.JPG
DSC04202.JPG
Me, Meera & Travis. First picture was the "serious" one and the second was the "fun" one.

Grad season isn't complete without a couple of grad dinners. Here are two that I've been to so far.

n3400985_34129921_7293
Right after commencement, my dad & I had to rush off to Hollywood for Meera's dinner at Palm Thai. Here are 3 graduates: Me, Meera & Kevin.

dinner04
24 hours later, I had the privilege of celebrating Claudia's graduation with her parents, Kellie, Jeanine, Ryan R, Ryan C, Aaron, Priscilla, Darren & Phil.

DSC04213.JPG
A couple days after the graduation festivities were well in the past, Brad & I took off on the first of, hopefully, many forays into the wilderness. This hike was the Big Santa Anita Canyon trail. We got a great view of Sturtevent Falls from the bottom here.

DSC04216.JPG
We also hiked to the upper falls to see what it looked like from above. Here's Brad (decked out in more burnt orange gear - backpack, sunglasses, shirt & shoes - than you can shake a stick at) at a little mini falls.

DSC04217.JPG
And here I am at the very same place.

DSC04218.JPG
And here we both are after completing the 5+ mile trail.

So, I hope you enjoy all the pics. The past week has really been memorable and a heck of a lot of fun. It essentially marks the end of an era (that of my college years) even though I've technically got another class to go. Most of us will be headed off to work in the "real" world by the time the end of this summer rolls around. It hasn't really hit yet (though I can say I've certainly begun to feel just how big a deal this is). It's all been a lot of fun and I'm definitely looking forward to what might be there for me just around the corner. So, to conclude this post (and to mark the century of entries), I'd like to wish all of the 2007 Graduates (High school, Undergrad & Grad) the best of luck and here's to the future!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!! wish i could have been there :)