Tuesday 8 May 2007

Post-Final Fun: Food and the Great Outdoors

There isn't much in this world that can beat a good meal and/or being outside. After my completion of the spring finals period, I celebrated by enjoying a bit of both. This post spans 2 distinct periods with a day at Huntington Beach (w/Brad, Jazelle & A Lo featuring cameos by Grant & Josh) omitted due to lack of no photos. First, I went home to the 808 for a visit since Daniel & Cat would both be back in the islands. While I had a blast hanging out with Daniel & Clifton (resident local and occasional EMT), I missed out on meeting up with Cat. Second, after missing out on some natural rock climbing at Fontainebleau, Travis & I finally made it out to Stoney Point for some bouldering. Let's have a look at the pics:

IMG_2161
Not even two hours after getting off the plane, I headed out for some night fishing at the Hawaii Kai Boat Harbor (site of our infamous hammerhead shark catching) with Dan & Clif. Unlike our previously successful trips to the harbor, I had the only catch of the night: a long & thin trumpetfish.
IMG_2175
What's a trip to Hawaii without some shave ice. Here's a pic of the tourist (Daniel gave up his HI driver's license for a Cali one) and the kama'aina (local) outside Waiola. He chose the melona flavor and I have lilikoi/lychee.
IMG_2185
Daniel & I taking the scenic route along the east side of the island. We're on the western side of the Blow Hole parking lot overlooking the beautiful, blue Pacific.
IMG_2211
Continuing on the drive around the east side, we stopped at the Makapu'u lookout and hiked to the rock climbing area. After an uphill climb (and a few nasty thorns through my slippers), we arrived. Unfortunately, it was bloody windy and neither of us had climbing gear. So much for being prepared...
IMG_2218
No matter since our reason for driving around the island was to get food. I've got the Pakalolo omelette (herbs & ham) with fried rice and Clif chose the seafood special omelette with hash browns.
IMG_2222
Daniel opted for the house specialty: banana & macadamia nut pancakes with a special mac nut sauce. We all ended up sharing and I must say, those pancakes are phenomenal.
IMG_2225
If you happen to be in Kailua during breakfast or lunch hours, you MUST go to Boots & Kimo for those pancakes. No Ka Oi!
DSC00226
Another food favorite is Jurison's Inn in Waikele. Home to some wicked good mochiko chicken. Here's Daniel enjoying his bowl.

P.S. Traci, I left the voicemail on your phone shortly before taking this picture.
DSC00224
A closer look for those who've never seen/had the mochiko chicken.

[Apologies for the poor focus]
DSC00091.JPG
After passing through Waikele (with a short, obligatory stop at the Adidas and Local Motion outlets), we continued to Haleiwa where we enjoyed Matsumoto's shave ice. So, after stopping at both major shave ice institutions on the island of Oahu, the verdict is Waiola has superior ice (much finer) while Matsumoto's has the better syrup. Well, that's my opinion at least...
DSC00092.JPG
The famous bridge in Haleiwa (I think it even appeared in an episode of Lost!).
DSC00093.JPG
And, I finally made it to an outdoor rock climbing site after missing out on the Fontainebleau boulders and a couple of Stoney Point trips. Here I am putting my shoes on at Waimea Bay.
DSC00096.JPG
And here I am climbing!
DSC00099.JPG
In the meantime, Clifton entertained himself with the frisbee & green ball.
DSC00106.JPG
And here I am determined not to fall (though, I think I fell shortly after the pic was taken). Daniel's desire to get in the water meant that I was without a photographer for the times that I managed to successfully climb. Go figure.
DSC00111.JPG
Climbing and swimming (damn, I miss the warm, clear Hawaiian water) sure makes you hungry so we stopped by another famous food establishment, Giovanni's, for some Kahuku shrimp scampi. All that butter and garlic...mmm.
DSC00112.JPG
Clif, Dan & myself with the famous Giovanni's White Truck.
DSC00116.JPG
Moving on from Kahuku and their tasty shrimp (and corn), we made it out to Laie Point for more photos.
DSC00117.JPG
Onward from Laie, we passed through Waimanalo on the way home and passed by the "Jackson Chameleon" sign that's been there for ages. Not sure if you can read the sign below, but it says "Slow Down through 'Nalo Town." Classic.
DSC00118.JPG
And, it's rare to go home to Hawaii and not eat at Zippy's. Here's my saimin.
DSC00119.JPG
Clif went with the chilli cheese fries (my usual favorite) and a strawberry shake.
DSC00120.JPG
Dan ordered the won ton min.

So, the Hawaii trip was short but awesome. It's been a few years since Dan, Clif & I were all able to hang out and enjoy all the cool things that make Hawaii so special. Not content with one trip to do some outdoor climbing, I had to get another trip together.

DSC00122.JPG
Without further ado, I present me & Travis at Stoney Point.
DSC04170.JPG
First order of business was to climb "Boulder 1" just off the road. Here's Travis after having been the first to succeed. You can see our car just peeking out behind the boulder (a closer shot of the car to come).
DSC04172.JPG
And here I am after getting up there myself. What a feeling. It won't ever be the same climbing indoors in Lyon's center (USC's student gym) any more.

DSC04173.JPG DSC04174.JPG


Travis & I in matching photos hanging onto the same ridiculously difficult rock.
DSC04176.JPG
As Justin Timberlake might say in a McD's commercial, "I'm Lovin' It!"
DSC04182.JPG
Travis showing that he can reach a lot farther than I can (I couldn't quite get my hand around that grip nearly as much as he could).
DSC04184.JPG
Travis between a rock and a..well...another rock.
DSC04187.JPG
Me. Same spot, different view.
DSC04190.JPG
Last but not least, our means of transportation: A Mini Cooper Convertible! How cool?! So what if we couldn't hear each other speak without yelling and we were continuously pelted by small rocks being launched into the air by semis. It was a hell of a fun drive! It was rented courtesy of Flexcar (they have a handful of different cars on campus for members - in our case Travis - to rent). What vehicle will we take next? Tune in a few days from now and I'll have an answer for you!

Well folks, that sorta marks the beginning of summer for me. Got my camera, camelbak & frame pack all up in Pasadena. Plus, my climbing shoes and a healthy sense of adventure should mean that there's a lot more fun to be had in the outdoors. And, you all know I won't ever stop with finding out (and taking pictures of) the best food around. So, more Food & Outdoors to come! I'll keep you all posted. Take care everyone and I hope you enjoyed the pics!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like the cooper :P

Anonymous said...

i miss hawaii now.