Wednesday 16 January 2008

On the Menu: January

Hello, hello. One of the things I've really been enjoying about life since coming up here is finally having the time to cook my own meals and also having a kitchen that can support that goal. While sometimes I don't have all the time that I'd like to prepare (especially during the weekdays), having a gas stove, a tidy kitchen and the will-to-cook has really helped. So, I'd like to share with you all what's been cooked up in my kitchen this month. We'll see if I can present to you folks some different, exciting dishes each month. Here we go:

On the left, we have a Cherry Tomato & White Wine Pasta along with some green beans & red capsicums (bell peppers). The pasta was inspired by a recipe that I saw online for a simple sauce with crushed cherry tomatoes and capers. Instead of the capers, I threw in some onions and a splash of wine. I also used fresh tomatoes rather than the ones from the jar that the recipe suggested. Turned out pretty well I think with a very light, palatable flavour. On the right, there's a bowl of corn chowder that I made from a recipe on epicurious.com. I had done this a couple years back (you may or may not remember this Darren) but it came out a bit too watery. This time around, I added a good amount of corn starch to thicken it up to be more chowder-like in consistency without changing the yummy taste. I made a huge pot that, thankfully, has lasted for a very long time. Yum.
So there you have it. That's one of the meals that I've prepared for myself during this first month of the New Year. Tune in (sometime) next month when I bring you another wonderful dish from my kitchen! Cheers!

3 comments:

joel said...

Dang, the next Iron Chef...

looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

i think you beat darren in getting a dining room table

T.A. Honda said...

Mmm, that looks delish! I'm very jealous of you and your fancy shmancy meals, Adrian. I've been eating tofu stir fry pretty much 4 times a week myself :-/