Friday 8 August 2008

Oakland Aviation Museum

So, my plane crazy Uncle happens to be in town and we decided it'd be nice to check out some of the less iconic (i.e. Alcatraz, Golden Gate, etc.) attractions. So, last weekend we headed out to the Oakland Aviation Museum. Here's a sample of what we saw. [Apologies on the light commenting...I'm kinda tired and just want to put the pics up for yawl to see]


Inside the Oakland Aviation Museum hangar. Planes galore!

Solent Mk. III flying boat. This one was used in one of the Indiana Jones films. There's one in NZ (a Mk. IV at MOTAT...Daniel, Clif & I saw it back in '03) and these comprise the only two restored ones in the world!

I like this photo immensely.

The Ladies' room. You don't see stuff like this on planes anymore (the possible exception being the new A380).

Stairwell heading upstairs.

The upstairs passenger cabin. Seating arrangement is very reminiscent of trains...those were the days.

Ray (my uncle) enjoying the comforts of the seat. I'll go out on a limb and say this isn't the seat he'd most like to be in on any plane...

Me. Seat. If only economy class seats were as comfy/roomy (sorta).

Port (left side) wing. Dunno if you can read the small placard at the base of the window but essentially it says that if you need an emergency exit, just kick in the window.

The flight deck (commonly called the cockpit).

No doubt this is the seat that Ray likes most on any plane. A true captain.

It's quite nice there as I found. One day in the not too distant future...

Standing in the bar area with the owl keeping me company.

Bill, our tour guide through the Solent.

A rather sad looking F-14 Tomcat. Top Gun never looked so bad...maybe Scientology could help spruce it up?

The engine out of the Tomcat. I wouldn't like to stand behind that thing on a runway...

A-6 Intruder. Not a plane I can say a whole lot about but one that I recognized from my day's of reading "Jane's" at Aina Haina library as a kid.

Home!

My favourite WWII plane (well, a model of one). Some day I'll see the real thing!

This one's for you Mum. The good, old "friendly skies".

Ate Hawaiian BBQ afterwards and had a chance to try the Lychee Green Tea for the first time. Me likey.

Littlestar Deep Dish pizza. Dinner w/Dorothy, Travis, Kim & Ray up in the city on Dorothy & Travis' last night up in the Bay (before starting the first leg of their move to CT).

Roasted garlic + sourdough = Yum!

That's all for now. Enjoy and go NZ Olympians!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, thats amazing they just let you go into the flight deck of the Solent. I live in San Jose so i should give it a visit. Did you need to have a special guided tour?