Saturday 16 July 2011

Catching up with July

I recall saying in the previous post that I would be trying to post a bit more. Having let the first half of July go by without a peep, I'd like to try to make amends by sharing a few pics from my miscellaneous adventures over the past few weeks. Here goes.


Backtracking just a little into June, I spent an afternoon with Daniel celebrating his birthday with friends, food and, of course, frisbees. As you may be able to see in the photo, we fired up the grill and charred some meat. Yum.

The view from Twin Peaks, down at the lovely city of San Francisco on a beautiful summer day. Nick, Diana & I stopped by for the view after seeing the Jazz Mafia play a free concert at Stern Grove.

We also ate some dinner at Izakaya Sozai on Irving St (in SF). A couple of the highlights of our "Japanese tapas" included the ahi tartare with lotus root chips shown above.

And this hamachi carpaccio dish. So, so tasty and my hands down favourite. I'd be remiss if I did not also mention the very good ramen they serve here (which I ate in haste without snapping a photo of).

Blurry cellphone picture of Pink Martini with the San Francisco Symphony in Cupertino. Disappointingly, they performed without China Forbes (the lead singer). Guest vocalists Lucy Woodward & Ari Shapiro (yeah, the NPR guy) both filled in admirably and made for a good show. Despite having seen them perform before, Mari & I enjoyed seeing/hearing the self-proclaimed "little orchestra" weave their musical magic yet again.

I also had the privilege of helping to celebrate Devin's 2nd Birthday with family, friends and cake. Oh, plus 90˚F heat, a swimming pool and, of course, another BBQ.

For dinner last weekend, I made a small batch of chicken enchiladas that turned out quite well. I made the sauce mostly from scratch though I did utilize canned tomatoes. I intend to increase my adventurousness in the future by trying to work with fresh tomatoes and seeing if I can create as tasty a dish.

Another weekend, another lovely day in San Francisco. Can you spot the kite stuck in the tree?

This time Diana, myself and Nick ventured to Golden Gate park for another SF Symphony concert (this one being their annual free concert in the park).

Naturally, we arrived a bit tardy. I got there first on motorcycle while Nick & Diana caught the tail end of a different (and much smaller scale) concert that they accidentally stumbled upon in another area of the large park. They eventually made it during the intermission and caught the last couple of songs. Luckily, we managed to get a great view and they played a lovely concert culminating in a nice rendition of Beethoven's 5th.

Nick took a brief nap during the show and we decided to have some fun using a pair of dried blueberries, a roasted almond and a digital camera strap. Voila!

And there we have it. It has been an eventful past few weeks with me giving notice at work and I've got a little less than two weeks left at AccessClosure. Onward to a new challenge at Abbott Structural Heart in August. Certainly a bittersweet departure in that I'm excited for a new challenge but I'll surely miss all the great people I currently work with. But, we all need to make a few changes every so often and now seems like as good a time as any to take a step into the unknown. Wish me luck!

No comments: