Monday 14 April 2014

Day in SEA

Modern jets have the amazing ability to take us from one point to another in a relatively quick manner and allows people to connect, however brief, despite their everyday lives being separated by thousands of miles (and a pretty big ocean). This post tells the story of my ~24 hours in Seattle.


We left a cold, dark, rainy SFO on a 6:00am flight bound for colder but not so rainy SEA. The sun poked out from the partly cloudy skies as our plane approached the Seattle-Tacoma area.

Peter Shelton's cloudsandclunkers caught my eye just around the corner from our arrival gate.

Mum, Aunty Janet and I came up to visit Aunty Jackie. We brought fabric leis with us and Mum & Aunty Janet recited a customary oli (chant) as they gave the lei to Aunty Jackie.
Mum & Aunty Janet got to see Aunty Jackie's remodeled kitchen (and I some of the work in the backyard that I didn't see when I last visited a couple years ago) and we spent most of the afternoon talking story and catching up on life. We also went out to get groceries so that Aunty Jackie could prepare a lovely meal for dinner (and we picked up some choice desserts from Bakery Nouveau in West Seattle).

I gave Mum, Aunty Janet and Aunty Jackie some time together while I went and had a quick dinner with some old friends of mine in the Seattle area. I didn't get a pic of dinner with Kurt, Traci & Joel (unfortunately), but we had an awesome time at Ma'ono West Seattle to get some Hawaii-inspired cuisine (sadly, they ran out of their specialty: the fried chicken). While we ate dinner, it kinda snowed. We ran across the street for some warm pie before saying our goodbyes and driving off into the snowy night.

And by "kinda" snowed, I mean it gave the road a pretty good dusting that would challenge my driving skills (I don't think I've driven in snow since my semester abroad in NZ). I can't speak negatively of the Chrysler 200 as it seemed to handle the conditions better than I expected.

Friends Family. And with that, Mum, Aunty Janet and I said goodbye to Aunty Jackie. The day flew by quickly and we had to go back to our hotel for the night before it got too late (and too snowy).

It concerned me that the snow seemed to start falling a bit heavier as the night went on so I drove with great care on the way back to SEA. No sudden acceleration, braking or steering (especially in this front wheel drive compact car).

We made it safely through the night on the drive back to Avis (and saw more than our fair share of slipping and sliding vehicles out there on the roadways). Phew!

The view out of the hotel towards SEA. The snow stopped falling and our fear of subsequent flight cancellations subsided.

Our flight didn't get cancelled, but we had a delay for a couple hours.

We eventually left and we got quite a different kind of view after takeoff than we did on approach. Once at SFO, Mum and Aunty Janet headed over to the gate for their connecting flight home to HNL and we parted ways. What a whirlwind trip!

We didn't have a whole lot of time, but given Mum & Aunty Janet's respective busy travel schedules, it took a lot of stars aligning to allow for everyone to come together for this brief amount of time. Very much worth it I'd say.

1 comment:

Claudia said...

Hi Adrian! Thank you for the comment a few weeks back!

By the way, I love Seattle! Glad you stayed safe in that snow and were able to spend some quality time with the family. Way to make the best of that quick trip!