Thursday 3 April 2014

SFO T3 Open House

A few years ago, SFO did an open house event prior to opening the remodeled Terminal 2. And I went to check it out. When I heard that they would do a similar event for the Terminal 3 opening, I jumped at the chance to check it out.


It seems weird to want to go to an airport without a plane ticket just to see a few things. I'm not the only weird one I guess.

18th Street Downgrade by Wayne Thiebaud. I think I took a picture of this previously (yeah, I did) where it previously hung in Terminal 3. Looks great in its new home. Still my favorite painting at SFO.

Saw some kids playing with this carpet representation of SFO's terminals and runways. Made me want to dig up my old Pan Am and Cathay B747 toys. I would've loved this as a kid love this.

Sky features 27 spheres suspended from the ceiling and works really well with the ambient, external and internal lighting of the terminal space to provide a fascinating piece where you might otherwise only expect to see boring ceiling tile. You can also see the kids choir signing at the bottom left of the frame.

Yeah, we did that.

Being the primary tenant of this new Terminal, United Airlines participated in the festivities in style, even bringing a B777 (3 class configuration) for folks to tour. Susanna decided to give the Business Class seat a try.

And then we waited a really long time in line for a chance to check out the cockpit. Yes, she asked the pilot to borrow his hat.

A view you don't often get outside of the First Officer's window. #planeselfie

Jason & I listen intently as the pilot answered our questions regarding the plane.

A close up of the controls. Wow.

They even built in a brand new Yoga room!

Jay DeFeo's Masquerade in Black features synthetic polymer and mixed media on masonite. As part of a series of works DeFeo produced in the 70's, it depicts a mechanical object painted in a forceful manner to suggest a being in motion. While dark, I think the theme works well being displayed at an airport where mechanical objects set about in rather forceful motion on a daily basis.

Thanks to Jason & Susanna for coming with me and also for doing a ton of walking so that I could get a lot of steps on my Fitbit!

No comments: