Saturday 20 February 2010

The Auld Mug

So, BMW Oracle brought home the America's Cup to the States and, more specifically, San Francisco Bay. The team came to show off their spoils today at City Hall.


A couple of security guards keeping an eye on the oldest trophy in sport.

The roof of the impressive SF City Hall rotunda.

The key players of today's event: Mayor Gavin Newsom, Team Principal Larry Ellison, Skipper James Spithill, Tactician John Kostecki & CEO Sir Russell Coutts

Russell saying a few words about the accomplishment of winning the Cup (again - for him at least). He, along with everyone else who spoke, discussed his preference of racing the next America's Cup here in SF Bay much to the delight of the partisan crowd.

The BMW Oracle team in its entirety (well, everyone who came).

Much of the sailing crew hung around to sign posters & caps for the fans who came out to congratulate them. Awesome bunch of sailors.

The Auld Mug aka the America's Cup. Quite an impressive sight closeup I must say.

This'll be coming back to NZ one day soon I hope!

Lunch after the festivities @ Crepe n Coffee. New Orleans crepe (swiss cheese, mushrooms, chicken, sun-dried tomatoes & salsa) with potatoes.

Dessert from Schubert's Bakery on Clement Street. Princess cake & the mango mousse cake.

Not a bad way to spend a Saturday. Quite pleased to have been able to see the America's Cup in person having followed it since 1995 (when, huddled inside a cabin in Northland, I watched Team NZ win with my family). I even remember the heartache of both 2003 (when, during my freshman yr at USC, Alinghi took the Cup away from NZ) and 2007 (when, during my last yr at USC, Team NZ could not prize the Cup back from Alinghi). If San Francisco became the host of the next America's Cup, I would most definitely want to stick around here to see that spectacle. Who knows, maybe I'll hop in a boat and indulge a new hobby..? Au revoir for now.

1 comment:

lianna said...

you should send me the princess cake for my 22nd birthday :D