Friday 17 June 2005

Haere Mai - Maori for Welcome

It's been 2 years to the day since the last time I arrived in New Zealand. It's funny, just about everything feels the same as it always does except for the little voice in the back of my head reminding me that I'm actually gonna be here for a really long time. Not merely a few days. Not just a couple weeks. Not even close to a month. I'll be here in "Noo-Zee-Lahn" for darn near 6 months and it's both exciting and terrifying at the same time. This'll be my chance to really see what life is like down here in the Southern hemisphere. Everything right now feels familiar, but I imagine once I step off the plane down in Dunedin things will get interesting real fast. I suppose it will feel like getting tossed into the water to learn how to swim for the first time (and from what I hear about Dunedin, that'll be icy, fricken-freezing cold water). So while you all are enjoying your summers up there in the Northern hemisphere, please do soak up some sun for me and enjoy the warmth. I'm quite jealous...

Anyhow, here are some pics to entertain. Nothing major, just a few quick snapshots from the flight to AKL.

DSC04483.JPG
Food on most airlines that we're used to is pretty crappy. I'm thoroughly convinced, from what I've experienced at least, that international airlines (such as Air Tahiti Nui, Cathay Pacific and Air NZ...just to name the ones I've been on) are actually pretty good in the culinary department. In comparison, US airlines such as American, United and, sorry to say, Hawaiian just don't cut it. Observe... There isn't a whole lot on my tray up there, but it's pretty tasty. I had the beef ravioli (which had a surprisingly flavorful marinara sauce) which came with a light salad, pineapple orange juice and a really tasty passionfruit cake. If you look closely, you can see a piece of smoked chicken quiche (right in the middle) that my mum gave me. That was really good quiche too! (Obligatory ginger ale pictured on the right).
DSC04484.JPG
There was no real reason to take this pic other than the fact that I thought it was cool Air NZ put their name at the bottom of the cup. That blackness out there beyond the glass is the nighttime sky. Just going back to the food topic real briefly, it only really applies to Economy. Food up in the more privileged classes seem to be of a much higher standard in general. It's so much better than anything in the back that you really can't complain too much.
DSC04485.JPG
Next up, we have breakfast! I opted for this yummy cheese omelet accompanied by hashbrown, mushrooms & a tomato. It was also served with OJ, papaya & pineapple and a pineapple muffin.
DSC04486.JPG
Mum got the blueberry pancakes (far superior to any that were made in apartment 128...though that ain't saying much) which were very tasty as well.
DSC04487.JPG
And finally, a lovely winter sunrise as seen from the sky. It was almost 7 am by the way. Seems like I'm gonna be missing the sun a whole lot over the next couple of months... Also, just so you all know, that white dot on the right is a light at the wingtip.

There we go. I have returned once again to the "Land of the Long White Cloud." Tomorrow, I'm supposed to watch my cousin's soccer game, go to an indoor ski slope (finally, time to hop back on a snowboard and see if I remember anything) and then settle down in the evening time to watch some Rugby (Lions v. Otago). Let's hope the Otago boys can show the British & Irish tourists why they call Carisbrook stadium the "House of Pain." On that note, take care everyone. Peace out.

2 comments:

Miss Tortolita said...

Aww Adrian, I miss you already buddy! BME will be lonely without you :( 6 months...wow man! I hope you have the time of your life!

Anonymous said...

yes, you are already missed!!! but i'm glad to see that you've got a nice start in new zealand so far. :o) don't worry--the cold won't be too bad. you should be fine with a nice warm fleece and windbreaker as long as the temperature stays above 30 degrees (F). and if it gets lower than that...you just wear more clothes. :o)

hope to hear more about your adventures soon! take care!