Thursday 23 June 2005

Snowplanet: Hitting the Indoor Slopes

A bit of a delayed post, considering this happened almost a week ago, but a post nonetheless. My Uncle, cousin Callum & I drove out to Snowplanet for a bit of ski/boarding action.

It was really only my second time doing snow activities (though, last time was outdoors). The last time I was at the slopes, well over a year ago, I snowboarded. So, logically, I thought that since I had gone snowboarding before, that would be the best thing for me to do this time. I was hoping to build on my previous experience but, to be honest, it really didn't work out as well as I had hoped (read: I fell A LOT). I had difficulty on the bunny slope and was dragged by the "lift thingy" when I tried going up to the bigger slope.

So...scratch snowboarding. I was pretty demoralized by the whole dragged by the "lift thingy" and almost called it a day. Then my Uncle suggested that I should give skiing a go. Figuring that I had nothing to lose, I threw caution to the wind and traded my board for a pair of skis.

Wouldn't you know I would've been much better off starting on the darned skis to begin with! I had a much easier time with balance and it was a lot more enjoyable from then on out. Who knew skiing wasn't the big, evil thing I had always thought it was (or is that what I had always been led to believe?). In any case, I'm definitely looking forward to another trip out to Snowplanet to try and work on my skiing! Just gotta get comfortable enough so that I can have a go on the big, real slopes that are all over the South Island!
Besides the slopes, I've done quite a bit of shopping and seen much of my family (always good times). I've bought 3 more albums (2 new Bic albums - live ones, and 1 Brooke album that I already own but lost the special edition dvd for) and have begun stocking up on warm stuff. It's gonna be freakin' cold in Dunedin...dammit. I've also been enjoying 2 good ole Kiwi treats that I haven't been able to enjoy for a good long time: Fresh L&P (awesome, awesome soft drink - not pictured) and Hokey Pokey Ice cream (pictured below).

Gee this place is awesome! Now, if it just weren't so damn cold...

No comments: