Friday 10 February 2006

Punahou Carnival '06

Here you are folks! We have pictures from this year's trip back. Nothing too crazy this time around. I got to see several familiar faces (including a surprising number of current USC students), eat lots of good food (oddly enough, not too many food pics) and just take in everything (possibly my last carnival for a while). Anyways, let's get things started...

salmon
The only picture of food from the whole lot, here's a pic of my dinner on the plane ride back. Grilled salmon with a spicy chutney, pasta and roast vegetables. Sadly, Sam Choy no longer creates the meals on United flights to Hawaii but this was a pretty tasty meal nonetheless.
opihi1
Providing entertainment at Hawaiian Plate were the Opihi Pickers. I was a bit late to the show because I had to wait for a new batch of Portuguese Bean Soup, but I got there in time to hear Victim and Old-Fashioned Touch. Look at all those kids skankin' to the beat!
opihi2
The skankers took a long enough break for me to get a clear shot of just the group. They played a good set that lasted just short of an hour with great energy from the crowd. A lot of songs I'm not familiar with, but good sounding music all around.
night1
You get some interesting pics when you flick on the slow shutter. I do enjoy the sharpness of the stationary objects contrasting with the blurred lines of objects in motion. This shot really captures the energy of carnival and the great atmosphere you get on the nights.
vboard
This year, they put up this huge video board in the lobby-esque area of the Science Center (dunno what they've named it since I grad but that's what I'll always call it). They played some interesting pre-made student commercials and also some "video messages" recorded during carnival. I even featured in one of the commercials for the Kiddie land (they used stock footage from the year that I was chair of the wheel booth). I really enjoyed watching the screen, particularly when I had to wait 1/2 hr in line for them to resupply the corn booth (just out of frame of the pic, on the right hand side).
swings
The swings are always a prominent feature of the carnival. Here's another slow shutter pic of the signature ride of carnival (well, a toss up between this and the zipper).
rides
Here we have another pic of the other rides at carnival including the venerable zipper (left), pharaohs fury (background right), glider (right foreground) and swings (background left).
malasadas
It's not a trip to the Punahou Carnival without the obligatory script spending spree at the Malasada booth. I took this photo moments after getting my 2 dozen. I hear they wouldn't let you buy large quantities after 9:30 pm. That sucks quite a bit since the malasada booth is THE place to go to spend the last few script you've got before heading home.
badge
I neglected to mention that this year's theme was Carnivalot (Medieval times...the theme I actually voted for when my class was in charge). My mum was a parent chair at the fishing booth in Kiddie land and I helped her out for the last hour or so of Carnival.
working
Here I am working hard...
fishing
And here I am hardly working. It's good to know I can fish just as well as the little kiddies can.

And that, my friends, was my trip home for Carnival '06. It was great fun being back again and I'm quite glad that I was able to keep the tradition going. It was certainly interesting to observe the differences between going back as an alumnus to how things were when I was still a student. Definitely fewer script spent on rides and more on food. And I'm sure starting feel a bit old. It is, however, just as enjoyable now as it was when I first when as a little kid back in the old days. On that note, enjoy the pics and have a great weekend. Peace out homeys.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hah i love the pictures. esp. the ones with panned motion (the blurred and not blurred) awesome im glad you had a good time

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pics man, nice to see a glimpse of home, but particularly Carnival:-)