Wednesday 7 November 2007

The Last 2 Weekends

Okay. I've been a bit busy the last couple of weekends but that means I've got a few pretty pics to share with you all. Here goes.


Let's start off with that last weekend in October during which I jetted off to Fresno, CA to visit the Vogelers. I hadn't seen them in many years since they moved away from HI. The last time, it was actually at the USC v. UH game in LA. That was way back in '03. So, suffice it to say, a visit was long overdue. One might ask if I had gone to Fresno, why is there a picture of the beautiful outdoors above? That's because Erik, Robbie & I spent a day visiting Yosemite (I would argue photos of this place are prettier than photos of Fresno).

It was so nice and sunny outside that it just made the photos look incredible. This happened to be my first trip to Yosemite and I was a bit shocked to observe that it really is much more awesome in person than I ever expected it could be.

Half dome. On a side note, I've gotten back into rock climbing (thanks to some co-workers) and I hope to get into shape so that I can have a crack at Half Dome next year sometime. Anyone else game?

One of my favourite natural landmarks: El Capitan. Not sure if I'll ever work up to this but I reckon it'd be quite a personal accomplishment to be able to scale this...

So, all the thanks in the world go out to the Vogelers for allowing me to stay in their beautiful home. It was brilliant seeing them again and I hope to be able to visit them in the near future again. I didn't get to see much of Fresno (proper) but I reckon they are the only (compelling) reason to visit that town... That's Mrs. Vogeler, Robbie, Me, Erik & Mr. Vogeler in the pic btw.

So, many of you have been wondering where it is that I live. I spent a portion of this first weekend in November cleaning up the place a bit so I could take some pictures of it to show you all (and not have it look like a mess). Here are the pics you've all been waiting for.

Let's start in the living room. If you can't tell, the furniture is all courtesy of Ikea. A small matching chair & sofa are separated by a coffee table upon which a kneeling archer replica from Xi'an is perched at the ready to defend my home. I've moved the dining room table into the living room because it allows for more space in the (small) kitchen/dining area and also because it lets me watch TV while I eat.

Speaking of TV, there she is. That's also my front door in the back. And, the antenna is positioned specifically there because that's where it HAS to be in order to pick up all the available digital HD stations...

This mini hallway bridges the bedroom, the bathroom and the living room. The little horsie is also from Xi'an.

Moving on to the bedroom. Bed on the left and desk on the right. NZ flag proudly hanging from the wall as well!

The desk is still a bit cluttered but all is good. Brooke poster to the left, UH foam shaka and Hawaii calendar on my bulletin board and other random items are scattered throughout.

The closet is a good size but the doorway isn't quite adequate. Next to that doorway hangs some Chinese calligraphy (also from Xi'an). Roughly translated, it means to be satisfied and always happy. Inspirational.


Here's the kitchen. It's a bit cramped and a bit lacking in counter space, but it does have gas (yes!).

And finally, the last room in the house, my garage! There's Hippolyta (the H-name I've chosen for her), Constance (my bike) and my homemade laundry rack in the back (suspended from the ceiling).

All in all, a place I'm quite happy to call home. It's so close to work, that I've been able to ride my bike there everyday. With gas/petrol prices as high as they are now, that's something I can certainly be thankful for! Anywho, enjoy the pics. Still waiting on some from 3 weekends ago (when Darren & Priscilla came to visit) but they'll come in time. Take care all and I hope everyone's doing well! Cheers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

like the pics...