Saturday 22 April 2006

The Da Vinci Code Quest

I'm not sure exactly how many of you out there have read and enjoyed Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code, but it was one of the most enjoyable books I've ever read. It was just one of those books that I could not put down. I certainly think it was even more special that I not only read the book while I was in Europe but I also got to see many of the things mentioned in the book! I certainly hope anyone visiting here has read the books, otherwise the little ensemble of pics below, taken during my travels, could be a bit "spoilerish"...you have been warned.


L->R: 1) If you look carefully, you can see the Da Vinci Code book on top of the night stand in my family's room during our Mediterranean Cruise. 2) Blade & Chalice. 3) A Smart Car. 4) The Mona Lisa herself. 5) A tomb inside Westminster Abbey. 6) Saint-Sulpice Church. 7) Musee du Louvre.

In any case, I digress. The point here is that it was a fascinating read and it really captured my imagination unlike any other book within the past few years (in fact, it started a bit of a personal reading frenzy). In a little under a month, they will be releasing the movie adaptation with Tom Hanks. I think they did an excellent job of casting Sophie (Audrey Tautou), Teabing (Sir Ian McKellen) and Bishop Aringarosa (Alfred Molina). The all really look the part. Choosing Tom Hanks as Langdon really didn't seem to be the best choice though I am at a loss as to who my ideal candidate would be. With each further trailer release, I find myself less and less agitated by the casting decision. I'll reserve my final judgment for after seeing his performance.

As a handy bit of promotion for the movie, Google is currently running a contest, known as the Da Vinci Code Quest. Starting last week, a puzzle will be released daily until May 11. The first 10,000 to finish all 24 puzzles will beeligiblee for a second round competition during which the person who can solve a few more puzzles the quickest will win a substantial prize that includes both European travel benefits and a ton of Sony electronics. I encourage any of you out there who like challenging puzzles and the Da Vinci Code to enter the competition to see if you just might possibly have a sharp enough wit to snare some cool prizes. Even if you don't win the grand prize, if you finish in the top 10,000 you get a cool little replica Cryptex.


You can enter the competition here (assuming you reside in the US, UK or Oz). This site is a pretty handy resource. Even though it looks like your normal everyday blog, it is actually owned by the movie studio. The official site is also an excellent resource with a ton of hidden features as well (onoccasionn, the puzzles will even refer you to the official site). Best of luck to you all and I hope to see some of you in the final round!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well some new posts! didnt think i'd live to see that day