Monday 5 April 2010

Easter Weekend 2010

An action packed Easter Weekend just blitzed through the Bay Area. Here are a few quick pics to capture all the goings-on.


Met up with a few of the old FHT gang and an overseas friend to catch dinner at the Old Clam House in San Francisco. This place has been up since 1861. Amazing.

All bibbed up, Uzor & I are ready for the cioppino, which this place is supposedly known for. Glad you could drop in for a visit, Uzor, all the way from Holland even if we only had a chance to catch up over some SF cuisine. Go Man Utd!

Here's what we were eagerly awaiting. In all that madness, you'll find crab, clam, mussels, snapper, scallops, shrimp & calamari. Plus, a bit of garlic bread to help sop up the sauce. Proud to say I managed to down all of that! Quite tasty I must say.

I also got to see my family over the weekend. Aunty flew a trip over to SF all the way from HK (for work) and Mum came up from home (for fun). Here we have just finished enjoying Easter Brunch at the Parc 55 hotel where we spent the night (thanks Cathay Pacific).

Afterwards, we headed over to the SF Apple Store to check out the recently released iPad in all its splendour. Mum & Aunty also commandeered two computers in the kiddie section to play "I Spy: Treasure Hunt" for 20 odd minutes. Young at heart.

We then came up with the brilliant plan to drive on over to Muir Woods in the middle of a downpour. Here, the driver does his best to stay focused on the road in the midst of the treacherous conditions.

As we drove on past the Sausalito exit on HWY 101, the rain began coming down particularly hard. What you see in the picture above pretty much sums up what I could see behind the wheel.

We made it! Yes, the rain still hasn't stopped.

Bridge Toll: $6. Muir Woods Entry Fee x 3: $15. Plastic Poncho x 3: $9. Family time in torrential rain amongst the gigantic redwoods: Priceless.

A slice of a giant redwood. It was definitely an old tree. Here, Mum and Aunty give you a bit of a size comparison. I think this is the same tree bit seen in the Muir Woods scene of Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo.

Aunty, Mum & my umbrella in front of some tall trees.

While Muir Woods does look awfully lovely in the rain, I'd like to come back sometime to see how it looks in nicer weather.

On the bright side, we got to see quite a bit of fiercely flowing water.

After traipsing through the wood for far longer than originally intended, Mum, Aunty & I have happily enjoyed our extremely damp trip to Muir Woods.

Still raining. Crossing the Golden Gate Bridge on the way back to SF. Soaking wet and hungry might I add.

After a lovely Thai dinner and warm shower, we all felt much, much better. Here, I bid adieu to Mum & Aunty as I had to head on home to get some sleep before starting yet another work week.

Many thanks go out to my out-of-town visitors for bringing heaps of entertainment to the SF Bay Area. Uzor, have a great trip driving around the Western US on your holiday. Hopefully I'll have a chance to visit you in the Netherlands in the not too distant future. Thanks also to Mum & Aunty for coming around for some more family time despite the horrendous weather. We didn't get to eat pies this time, but I'll take you out to the NZ pie shop next time 'round. As always with my relations, we had a fun time with a healthy dose of the odd family humour.

No comments: